Rare books, periodicals and papers
The following collection is from the library of Mr. Theodore and Mrs. Joan Wilentz, kindly donated by Mrs. Wilentz in 2009.
The collection comprises rare books and pamphlets by Laura (Riding) Jackson and periodicals in which she is included, plus miscellaneous pamphlets, papers and photographs. Many are held in the Archive Store due to rarity and condition. The substantive collection of Laura (Riding) Jackson's books, some of which are from the Wilentz collection, may be found in the library on open bookshelves, alongside a number of peripheral books in which she is mentioned or figures fictionally. Other material has yet to be added. The particularly rare Focusis reproduced in full here. A facsimile will be added shortly.
Full details of the books and periodicals may be found in the Bibliography on this website.
- Riding, Laura. Anarchism Is Not Enough. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, Doran and Co., 1928. cloth with dust jacket
- Gottschalk, Laura Riding. The Close Chaplet. NY: Adlephi, n.d. (1926)
- Riding, Laura. The Collected Poems. NY: Random House, 1938. cloth. lst printing
- Riding, Laura. Description of Life. NY: Targ Editions, 1980. cloth, one of 350 copies. inscribed by Riding
- Riding, Laura. Everybody's Letters. London: Arthur Barker, 1933. cloth
- Riding, Laura. Four Unposted Letters to Catherine. NY: Persea, 1993. uncorrected proofs
- Riding, Laura. Four Unposted Letters to Catherine. Paris: Hours Press, n.d. cloth. 1 of 200 copies. signed by Riding
- Riding, Laura. and Ellidge, George. 14A. London: Arthur Barker, 1934. cloth
- Riding, Laura. Lives of Wives. NY: Random House, 1939. cloth, review copy
- Riding, Laura. Life Of The Dead 1933, Arthur Barker 1933, illustrated by John Aldridge, numbered copy
- Riding, Laura. Poet: A Lying Word. London: Arthur Barker, 1933. cloth, 1st printing
- Riding, Laura. Selected Poems in Five Sets. NY: Norton, 1973. cloth. 1st printing. review copy
- Riding, Laura. A Selection of Poems. NY: Persea, 1994. paper
- Jackson, Laura (Riding) Jackson, The Telling. London: Athlone Press, 1972. Unbound signatures, in envelope addressed by (Riding) Jackson, also a proof-copy corrected by L(R)J
- Jackson, Laura (Riding). The Telling. London: Athlone Press, 1972. cloth, copy is inscribed by Riding
- Jackson, Laura (Riding). The Word Woman and Other Related Writings. NY: Persea, 1993. uncorrected bound gallery
- Riding, Laura and Graves, Robert. A Pamphlet Against Anthologies. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, Doran and Co., 1928. cloth. 1st printing
- Fugitives: An Anthology of Verse. NY: Harcourt, Brace and Co., 1928. cloth
- Antaeus, no. 13-14 (spring-summer 1974)
- Chelsea, no. 35 (1976). 1 copy, also 1 copy ltd and signed of 200 copies
- Denver Quarterly, vol. 31, no. 1 (summer 1996)
- Epilogue, vol. 1 (Autumn 1935)
- Epilogue, vol. 2 (summer 1936)
- Epilogue, vol. 3 (spring 1937)
- Focus (1935) four issues quarter bound together
- Glasgow Magazine (1983). inscribed by Laura Riding
- Grand Street, vol. 1, no. 3 (spring 1982)
- Paris Review, no. 79 (1981)
- Sulfur, no. 10 (1984)
- Sulfur, no. 20 (1987)
- The Review, no. 23 (Sept.-Nov. 1970)
- Transition, no. 3, 6, 7, 12 (1927-28)
Correspondence and miscellaneous (37 items):
- Riding, Laura. 3 1.s., 2 a.n.s., 1 a.p.c.s., bank check signed (1984-91)
- Correspondence (folder) and clippings about the Schuyler and Laura Jackson Estate
- Correspondence (folder) with Cornell about donations to the (Riding) Jackson Collection
- Correspondence (folder) about the Schuyler and Laura Jackson house, etc.
- Sonia Raiziss Giop reading essay by Laura (Riding) Jackson for National Archives, Library of Congress, Aug. 1985.
- [essays] manuscript of essays about (Riding) Jackson, edited by Mark Jacobs. [invitation]. Laura (Riding) Jackson and The Promise of Language. Ithaca, NY
- Cornell University, Oct. 8-9, 1988. Invitation to symposium, 6 copies. [manuscript]. 'Laura Riding Jackson and Donald Gallup: An Epistolary Friendship', 1952-1986. 49 pages
- [screenplay] Luers, William. 'Daisy and Venison', from Progress Of Stories, 1935
- 2 flyers related to Riding
- 3 clippings related to Riding
- [broadside] Some Communications of Broad Reference. Northridge, CA: Lord John Press, 1983. (one of 125 copies, inscribed to Ted by LRJ)
- [broadside] How It All Goes. (one of 100 copies)
- [broadside] The Sweet Ascetic. (one of 40 copies)
- [broadside] A Short Sentence for Private Reflection. (one of 50 copies)
- [chapbook] A Short Sentence for Private Reflection. (one of 20 copies) inscribed to Ted by LRJ
- Several file folders with reference to: (Riding) Jackson's will, Estate matters, Cornell University library, book-dealers, and copyright permissions
- Folders of correspondence with Alan Clark, Donald Gallup, etc.
- Three photocopies of manuscripts about L(R)J
- Photos of Schuyler B. Jackson's Laura (Riding) Jackson's graves and home.